Monday, November 29, 2010

DM Afterhours - A late night selection of sophisticated chill


It was 1985 when my fanaticism over DM first started.

Wasn’t really like love at first sound. I have actually known about the band even before that, having already heard ear candies like “Just Can’t Get Enough” and “Everything Counts,” from the radio. Though their industrial synth sound was both unique and catchy, all in all their music hardly stood out from the wave of British acts that had been invading Manila since 1980.

Things changed when I finally got hold of their “Some Great Reward” LP that year courtesy of my bro. This 8 track album was a commercial success because three of its songs - “People Are People”, “Somebody”, and “Master and Servant” – topped the charts worldwide.

What got me hooked, however, were the remaining 5 gems in the album. One of them, “Lie to Me”, is a cool 5-minute journey into the non existence of love – how it is only a "promise made for convenience" motivated by shallow self-interest rather than devotion. Somehow, I can still remember how its hypnotic tune and lyrics would put me in a quasi trance before drifting off to dreamland:

Come on and lay with me
Come on and lie to me
Tell me you love me
Say I'm the only one

But I digress.

Now, a quarter of a century later, my passion for the band and their music still remains.  

Nevertheless, despite the breadth of my DM collection, I find it peculiar that not one compilation, official or bootleg, has bothered to explore their chillout side. And so I was left with no other recourse but to take it upon myself and do what Mute Records has failed to do.

"Afterhours" is a collection of their smoothest and chilliest grooves that I mined from their studio albums, official remixes, live performances, and bootlegs. While none of these songs get (or ever got) that much airplay, in the end, it's the haunting that counts.

The whole album is around 80 minutes long. It will fit a traditional blank CD if recorded with little or no pause.

Tracklist:

01 I Am You 
02 Slowblow 
03 Lie To Me
04 Useless (The Kruder+Dorfmeister Session) 
05 Death's Door (Live Devotional Tour)
06 The Things You Said
07 Shine
08 Any Second Now (Voices)
09 Waiting For The Night
10 The Sun & The Rainfall
11 Barrel Of A Gun (Underworld Enhanced Integration)
12 Home (Air "Around The Golf" Remix)
13 The Love Thieves
14 Enjoy The Silence (Raphmode Piano Dub)
15 And Then...
16 I Want It All
17 Dream On (Bushwacka Tough Guy Mix)



Check it out

No comments:

Post a Comment