Monday, November 29, 2010

Le Intro

My love affair with the mixtape began when first I saw my brother fiddle with the Panasonic stereo component that my old man brought home from abroad back in the early 80s.  It was genetically engineered for audio recording – it had a dial that controlled the recording level, another for echo, still another one for tape speed – and my brother made full use of these when creating his own compilations. He would bring his tapes to school where it would make the rounds among his friends and classmates and, in return, they would lend him their latest LPs freshly shipped from the US and Britain. More fuel for the fire.
We had a huge collection of old magnetic master tapes and vinyl back then. The prehistoric 7 inch tapes were my Dad’s and he had a treasure trove of easy listening albums from the 50s, 60s and 70s. Our LP collection of jazz, pop, and rock albums was also pretty extensive and it was built through the combined efforts of my two elder sisters and brother.   
When my brother wasn’t around, I would nick some blank TDK C60s from his stash and create my own mix tape, singling out my favorite tunes from our collection and putting them together in one seamless hodgepodge of pure chaos. My siblings never took my first few attempts seriously and they were not particularly impressed at the way I strung together Manhattan Transfer’s Shaker Song and the Hula-hoop Christmas song from Alvin and the Chipmunks. But as this mixtape was a product of my own creative vision, I ignored my pundits. Well, at least at first.
I eventually grew out of my chipmunk fixation in a span of several constructive yet insulting criticisms and became more selective in what I put in my succeeding brews. 99.5 RT and XB 102 were my sources of materials and they opened my world to Depeche Mode, Tears for Fears, the Cure, New Order, the Smiths and a host of other up and coming acts from the UK. Along the way, my buddies and I teamed up to create a party music mobile group that partly paid for my records addiction and gave me free dibs at the most happening parties in Project 4. Though our equipment was laughable, we were cranking out grooves that had everyone nodding, gyrating and flipping their arms like Roland Orzabal.
As the 80s gave way to the 90s and the millennium, my musical taste also experienced a growth of sorts, expanding to jazz, lounge, and the blues. The mixtape also changed forms; from the handy cassette tape to the CD and now to the oh so convenient but oh so impersonal MP3 playlist. Whatever form you prefer it to be, the essence of the mixtape remains the same - it continues to be an art form that lets you express yourself in ways mere lyrics can’t.  It can range from a casually selected list of favorite cuts, to a conceptual mix of songs linked by a theme or mood (music to watch girls by, anyone?), to a highly personal statement specifically tailored to an intended recipient. 
But enough of the talk. Here’s my blog and may you appreciate my ravings and mixes as much as Alvin the Chipmunk did.
Le peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment