Friday, December 3, 2010

Recollections of an Eighties Summer

It’s retro Friday in the Metro, and what better way to end the week with an 80s themed compilation. This mix -“Recollections of an Eighties Summer” - is a soundtrack of all the summers I spent back in the decade.  

Some of my memories are quite hazy while others are as vivid as they could possibly get. A case in point is my recollection of spending endless warm twilights sitting near the steps of a neighborhood convenience store, waiting for the chance to catch a glimpse of Elaine, the sunshine of my life back when I was 12, step out of her house and just breathe. While thinking about this, I can also clearly recall the smell of barbecue being grilled near the store, the sight of little girls playing Chinese garter on the other side of the road, and the sound of Martha’s raspy voice coming out of a radio singing:

It happened one summer
It happened one time
It happened forever
For a short time
A place for a moment
An end to dream
Forever I loved you
Forever it seemed

The rest of the songs in the mix have also their own unique visual, olfactory, and auditory attachments. Whether it’s attending remedial algebra in school, bathing under a waterfall in our province, or just playing hooky with my pals, the music they come with continues to tug at me and move me, and gets me wondering how something as precious as childhood can both be fleeting and eternal all at the same time.

Tracklist:

01 The Downtown Lights - Blue Nile
02 No Promises - Ice House
03 Left Of Center - Suzanne Vega
04 Suddenly Last Summer - The Motels
05 Fade Away (Live) - Fra Lippo Lippi
06 Into The Night - Benny Mardones
07 King Of Pain - The Police
08 German Girl - Lotus Eaters
09 Tender Years - John Cafferty & The Beaver Brown Band
10 Spell - Deon Estus
11 What I Am - Edie Brickell & The New Bohemians
12 Don't Disturb This Groove - The System
13 To Live And Die In LA - Wang Chung
14 When The Lights Go Out - Naked Eyes
15 Motortown - Kane Gang
16 Arizona Sky - China Crisis
17 Voices Carry - Til Tuesday
18 Advice For The Young At Heart - Tears For Fears

Check it out

3 comments: